Monday, October 22, 2007

Now, I Know I Am Ready

Phase II - Regressive Count - Week Six
10/15/07 - 10/21/07
Week Total: 31

The plan for this week was Tue: 3mi, Thu: 8mi, and Sat: 20mi. As I had to fly from Seattle to DC on Thu it was not smart (at least to me) to run 8 miles after flying for 6 hours and "losing" 3 hours of my day. So, I moved my 8 miles to Tue and the 3 to Thursday. But Tuesday was a black and cold day in Seattle (what's new) and by the time I left work I was going to finish by dark. Not wanting to risk that (safe first) and a little bit tired of running under these weather conditions, I decided to run in the gym on the treadmill. I am sure there are people that do that, but for me was a challenge.

Surprise: The workout was awesome. I have to agree that running on the treadmill is more challenging that on the streets, and I reduced 40 seconds my pace. I felt really happy with the results and I believe is the best run I've done in my training.

And then, Saturday arrived. 20 miles to go. I had butterflies in my stomach during the whole week just thinking in the city (DC) I know but not completely, the heat, the humidity, and, so forth. I confess I was scared. I checked multiple routes, and saw many that go by highways, or places I had no clue.... After several hours, on Wednesday night, I drew my route (80% in known areas) and I prayed for the best.

The weather forecast was favorable. The 88 degrees of Thursday were not going to be available on Saturday. 62F early in the morning to 72 at noon was the promise.

At 7:15 am., sunrise time on Saturday October 19, I was in the lobby of the Hyatt Crystal City waiting for the shuttle to the Metro. At Arlington National Cemetery station I called my adorable husband and told him: "Wish me luck, I will text message you every 90 min or so....". Clicked my chron, and started.

The day was perfect. Blue skies, nice breeze and a delicious temperature of 62. Humidity was supposed to drop as the morning advanced.

I went to Fort Myer, Rosslyn, Francis Scott Key Bridge, M street in Georgetown, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Dupont Circle, Massachussets, Columbus Circle, Capitol Hill, Constitution, North Carolina, C Street, 22nd., RFK Stadium, Independence, Maine, Tidal Basin, Ohio, National Mall towards the Capitol, turned around in Pennsylvania, M Street, Key Bridge, Rosslyn, Fort Myer, Arlington Cemetery.

4 hrs 27 minutes. I thought of anything and everything. I felt wonderful in that loneliness state of mind that is achieved when we are just there, and just running. I saw myself crossing the 26.2 mile line in Seattle on Nov 25. I accomplished something. At least, my max distance before the marathon. Now, I know I am ready.

7 comments:

MarathonChris said...

Congrats on a fantastic 20 miler! Sounds like you did a mini tour of this weekend's race for me :-)

Glad you had a great run, and yes, you are so ready!!

lizzie lee said...

I certainly thought of you a lot... I wish you the best. I know you will have a great time. I will follow the race and your post comments...

Take care...

Susan said...

WOW - you did an AWESOME job! And you got a tour of the whole town, it seems. WOW!

I am impressed; not many people could have accomplished a killer run in an unknown place!

My 22-miler is this Saturday. Yikes! Last year it was a great one. I hope this year is the same!

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, I've found DC to be a great place to run, particularly in October when many are out training for the Marine Corps Marathon.

Glad you had a great run!!

Irish Blue said...

Wow, you did it!! Congrats. You're definitely ready.

Petraruns said...

Wow - what a scenic run! Talk about taking it all in on a training run. But I am also so pleased that you seemed to really be enjoying yourself - that is really good news. On top of what sounds like a fairly punishing week of work it's a brilliant achievement and a lovely thing to know you have in you. Well done!

Backofpack said...

Great job cranking out 20 miles in an unknown city. Sounds like you got darn near perfect weather.

Eric and I are still discussing Seattle - the price is up, but I think I want to do it. Did it last year in the bad weather and still enjoyed it. Still thinking....