Sunday, February 14, 2010

Phidippides

Marathon Plan - Regressive Countdown - Week Twelve
02/08/10 - 02/14/10 - Week Total: 24.1 miles

When I was young some of the Greek names that were familiar to me and had a meaning were Apollo, Poseidon, Zeus, Aphrodite, Hermes, Hercules, Daedalus, Olympus, to name a few.

Today, the name that resonates the most to me, is without a doubt, Phidippides. The man that, 2,500 years ago, has served as the inspiration for the Marathon race and long distance running.

USATF established a national recognition for those Masters Athletes that race a certain number of races in USATF certified courses with verifiable results: The Phidippides Award.

Not bragging about it, but I feel proud of having received this national recognition during 2009, especially, because 2009 was the hardest year I've had in my life.

And when you get an award, you give a speech: So here is mine.

* My thanks to Mary Yuliet Busato, who, back in 1997, accompanied me in my first ever run.
* To my daughter Alejandra, who set the stage for me to go back to running and put me where I am right now.
* To my son Diego, who runs with me when he can, and who, during my marathon's quests, is waiting for me at mile 25 (Km 40) to help me get to the finish line.
* To my hubby Randy, who, when I get home after 4 hours of running, has a plate full of cold fruits, water, and the perfect setting for me to come back to normal.

I will continue - it is my promise - in 2010 with my racing's quest.

This week I raced a Half marathon at a training long run pace of 11:32 for a 2:30 Half (my PR is 2:23:21 in a hilly course). The race was in Rochester, WA, a town that no Washingtonian knows it exists.

Question: What are you doing this weekend?
Lizzie: I am racing in Rochester.
Question: New York?

This occurred with every co-worker that, before leaving for the weekend, asked that nice question on how the weekend will look like. Well, no wonder they asked if New York.

When I got to Rochester, 100 miles away from home, I asked myself: How is this town on the map? It is a small community, rural,
an old western town, that seems to be frozen on the past. But none of these aspects raised any worries about how the race would be. I blindly trust the organization capabilities of any American race (we just have to experience how miserable races in other countries could be).

The place to gather was Swede Hall, which is the town hall. I felt like in the earlier 20th century. The races included: a marathon, a half-marathon, a 10 mile, a 10K, a 5K, a kids' mile and a duathlon. Could you believe this? I couldn't.

Loved to see that with the registration fees, they went to Costco, and bought plenty of refreshments for all participants. They had a couple of crock pots, one with chili and another with soup.

Loved to see the aid stations with volunteers in a van with a couple of tables serving us water or energy drinks in a cup.

Loved to run in the middle of the streets without the feeling we were jeopardizing our lives, because the drivers were aware these are rural roads.

Loved running by farms.

Loved the medals.

Loved to be part of the experience.

Loved the race completely: A Cupid's Marathon, Footraces and Duathlon, ran in a small rural community, in Rochester.... WASHINGTON!!!

Race and medal dedicated to my mom, who is 81 on race day!! love you MAMA!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Lizzie. That's quite an accomplishment.

Petraruns said...

Congrats on the award LizzieLee - that's pretty impressive. All the more impressive because of the year you achieved it in. I too have found that the setting of running goals in tough times really helps and I am always inspired by you.

As for small town races - I love them! As you say, the small touches make a huge difference. Good for you for heading into the unknown.

Susan said...

CONGRATS LL!!!! You deserve it ALL. You are one amazing, inspiring woman in my life. :)

MarathonChris said...

Congrats on the award! And on completing the half marathon....remember when a half marathon was a long way and hard to do :-) Now its just a training run!

Keep on running and showing the world that in the middle of chaos, one can still find the prize!

ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats Lizzie on the award!!!

There's no one I can think of who deserves it more than you. And love that small race you did. I've done a number of marathons like that and know exactly what you mean about them being special.