Sunday, March 20, 2011

This Is A Cliché, But Hills Are Your Best Friends

How do you train your hills if you happen to spend your week in SoCal?

In the treadmill.

Though I definitely prefer my chuckit hills, the treadmill alternative was not too bad. 6% incline, 3 sets of 3 reps - 0.15 miles. Easy at 10:50, moderate at 9:30, hard at 8:30. Reps 8th and 9th at 7% at 9:30 and 8:10 respectively. Not bad.

On Thursday my legs feel bad. Monica is coming out of a cold. The run is slow, though not as bad as could’ve been.

Sunday, Mercer Island, a hilly course, I dare to say one of the hilliest in Western Washington... When you get to mile 11, you just look at the hill, and ask, seriously? It’s a loooong and horrendous hill waiting for you… and the final stretch to the finish line… another hill, short though.

But... as Seattleites we don’t have too much option but training on hilly streets so the course profile doesn’t look as bad as in paper.

And... We work hard hills, we work with Chuck, he trains us for this…. 

Then... We rip the benefits in a course like this. All of us had an amazing race. Monica, Nikki and Annabelle, all PRd (1:55; 1:47 and 1:54 respectively). I was one minute shy of my PR for a 2:15, a 10:21 min/mile… in this course, seriously?

I have to say it. I have to: This Is A Cliche, But Hills Are Your Best Friends.

Mercer Island. Perimeter: Half Marathon!

Mercer Island Profile... How do you like it?
Nikki... where are my safety pins?

Monica

Annabelle and Lizzie chomping
We, four.... A successful race!!!

No comments: