Saturday, May 19, 2007

We will run alone, but together. The decision is made

In the 90's I loved to run. At 41 yo, back in 1997, I ran my first race ever, the Clinica Avila 12K, in Caracas, Venezuela. It was easy for me. I did 1:07:00 for a pace of 9:00. Impressive, I can say today. I used to run daily 6 miles (9.6 Km) and hike 3-4 times a week very steep mountain hills. Then, I moved to the US and I stopped running. A bunch of excuses followed. The cold wind, the snow, the mud, the rain, etc.

In 2005, my adorable daughter Alejandra (18 at the time) and I, ran 5K in the 2005 Spokane River Run. It was on the month of April, and it was cold. After we registered we found out that
"the run was on a 100% dirt trail, some rocks, roots and possibly mud, but no asphalt. The course winds through thick pine forests set against basalt cliffs and ends with a tight twisty single-track next to the roaring Spokane River."

We were making fun of ourselves and put music to this phrase: "Lizzie and Ale running down the trail, falling down the hill..."

We ran together, and crossed the line holding hands together. As the clock could not put us both at the same time, the results were:


41 0:36.54 11:35 Lizzie Lee 5K Female 40 - 49
42 0:36.55 11:35 Alejandra Moreno 5K Female 13 - 18


We were both out of shape, but that didn't matter, because we did it together. Also, our minimum goal was 12 min/mile, thing we achieved. We had a lot of fun, and we collected many memories of the event.

Two years later, today (05/19/2007), we decided to run together again. Several differences, though:

1) Alejandra is currently serving in the Peace Corps in Thailand. I am living in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, 20 miles north of Seattle. The distance that separates us is 11,987 kilometers or 7,448 miles.

2) We are not going to run 5K but 42.195 K: A MARATHON.

3) Ale will run a Marathon in Bangkok on November 25, 2007.

4) I will run a Marathon in Seattle on November 25, 2007.

We are going to run a marathon alone, but together. The decision is made.

No comments: