Saturday, March 22, 2008

One Does As One Wishes With The Body

Arrived in Washington DC on Monday @ 3pm and got ready for a 12 intervals session of a quarter of mile @ 8:34 min/mile each, with recovery of 90".

After a couple of miles of easy running I started the work. At Interval #6 my body was saying HALT!!! but I kept going. I7 & I8 were ok but I was getting desperate at I9. When I finished I9, I knew I was going to make it. Only 3 more. Total success.

Frederick The Great, King of Prussia whispered in my ears throughout the work out:
"One does as one wishes with the body - when the soul says quick march it obeys."

Then a complicated week full of meetings, plus a couple of nice dinners (Macadamia Crusted Mahi-Mahi in mango coolie sauce @ Chart House, Alexandria, VA) pushed Tempo for another day, like today, when I am supposed to do my long run. Oh well, Sunday will be Easter, no long run this week was decided.

Back in Seattle on Saturday I got ready for a tempo session @ Boeing gym. Full of energy and enthusiasm my tempo was a disaster. I ran 2 miles easy and when switched to Tempo (9:40) my legs became so heavy that only could run 1/2 mile. Frederick The Great words didn't resonate this time. I couldn't understand what happened, especially after the intervals success of the week, but decided not to even bother on finding a reason. I quit and went home.

After arriving from the so-called tempo, I took my gloves, ear band, breath thermo jacket and went running around Lake Serene in front of our home (1.6 miles). The day was a little bit cold (42F/6C) but absolutely sunny. My legs were still heavy, but at least I added more mileage to the already short week.

Have y'all a Happy Easter!!!!

PS: The Mahi-Mahi was delicious. I amply recommend it.

5 comments:

Susan said...

You're so determined. I love that spirit!

Susan said...

Thanks for the kind words. I am an Architect, just so ya know!

MarathonChris said...

Way to hang in there with the run. Sometimes the spirit is willing but the body isn't. Still you stuck to it and did what you could. Way to go!!!

Petraruns said...

Well done there - you really don't give up do you?

ShirleyPerly said...

Way to knock out those 1/4 mile intervals! Sounds like you might have just had a bad day on the tempo run. Possibly traveling all the way cross country contributed? I know I'm usually fine on the way out but coming back seems to take longer to adjust.