Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ten Miles of Insanity

Ten miles is a nice distance. I like it... but I like it outside. Seattle's weather didn't improve last week, so under 38F/3.3C I drove to the gym to work on the treadmill.

I used the strategy I had for my kids when they were teenagers and visited me at the office. Their behavior was, of course, way different than when they were little kids. They rolled the chairs around, and made fun of somebody else, danced behind a column so nobody could see them but me, etc... I always laughed.... besides telling them to be quiet, I always told them to look at a fixed point in the wall and don't move.... Of course it didn't work but gave them more fuel to make fun of me... After looking at the dot for a minute without even breathing, they always cracked me up.

That was my strategy last Saturday, to look at a fixed point in the wall. That was insane. The dot didn't make me laugh as my kids did... From time to time I looked through the window but the view didn't give me too much excitement.

The TV in front of me had the Slam Dunk Championship, and I couldn't understand how people get entertained with that, and worst than that, how people pay to see that. When the championship ended, more basket continued.














Notwithstanding being
resigned with my three options (the dot, the window, and the slam dunk), the work out was good. I had a steady easy pace and completed Ten Miles of Insanity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS: The intervals of the week were 3 x 1 mile at 8:34. Recovery of 3min. The first interval was completed. The second was reduced to 0.65 miles because I was about to die. The third was 0.75 miles. I think they were good, even though didn't follow the fine print of the plan.

5 comments:

Petraruns said...

Wow girl - I'm very impressed with your determination (and your intervals!). Keep up the hard work, you are So going to reap the benefits..

Irish Blue said...

10 miles on the treadmill? You're a rock star!!

Nice job on the intervals too. I hate speed work. Well, I've only tried it once, but I hated it. ;-)

MarathonChris said...

Good job on your workouts! You are doing well.

I have been on hiatus - working a proposal - as the capture manager, it was essentially my baby.

We boxed it up to ship at 2 am. So I am once again a free woman - at least free from 70-80 hr weeks :-) and hopefully free to start running again!! My body is still recovering but I went for an easy 3 miler and it felt good!

ShirleyPerly said...

Indeed, 10 miles on a treadmill is a feat!!

Good job, Lizzie, and on the intervals too. When it's finally nice enough to go outside to run, you'll be more than ready!

Susan said...

Good job!