Hal Higdon has a 5K training plan for the seasoned "Veteran Of The Running Wars", those that have numerous 5K races under their belt and have raced other distances... Well, I decided that I am one of those veterans, or ... a "racing fool" as Chris put it last week.
Tomorrow this serious 8-week 5K plan will begin to see how many seconds can I shave off my PR of 28:22. The race selected will happen on Sep 27, in one of my favorite Seattle's spots: Alki Beach.... Ah, and in addition, it supports breast cancer, so here I go.
The strategy is:
- Intervals (Tue) ~ 8:34 min/mile
- Tempo (Thu) ~ at 9:30 min/mile
- Sat Fast Run will be done in 10K races. I have proven to myself that I don't run fast in my regular training. I will not run with all during these 10K races, but I will run faster than what I usually run.
- Sunday Long Runs will be measured exclusively by time NOT BY DISTANCE.
- Strength workout on Mon and Wed
My race of the week, the Footzone in Redmond Town Center. It was hot 75, and I didn't do as good as I expected, especially for a course with only half foot elevation gain... Last week I ran 8 sec per mile faster in a muggy day, and in the Alaskan Viaduct that has some elevation... oh well!!!
Division 10/19 - Overall Female 75/158 - Overall 259/367