Monday, April 5, 2010

Rochester Revisited: Mrs. Lizzie Is Not Dizzy

Marathon Plan - Regressive Countdown - Week Five
03/29/10 - 04/04/10 - Week Total: 26.2 miles
Total March: 100.8 miles
2010 Mileage: 345.8


Nothing like running long races instead of the marathon training long runs. They are a blessing. To run 20 miles or 15 or 13 in a race turns out to be fun, exciting and very different than running miserably alone for 3 to 4 hours.

This past week my long run was a 15 miler. I settled for a 13.1 race as I had two alternatives: Easter Classic in Rochester, WA, and Dizzy Daze in Green Lake, Seattle. The first was located 100 miles away from my home, and the latter only 15 miles. It seemed to be a slam dunk, Dizzy Daze will be.

The Easter Classic course is the same than the Cupid's I ran in February. That small race that was so delighted. It included a marathon, a half, a 10 miles, a 10K, a 5K, a mile and a duathlon. Dizzy Daze was around the lake and included a half (4 laps), a marathon (8 laps), 50 K (10 laps), and 100K (19 laps)!!!

Easter Classic had water stations every 1.5 miles, Dizzy Daze had 1 per lap (every 3 miles). Easter had hot food post race, Dizzy Daze had nothing.

Easter had awards for everything. Dizzy Daze nothing.


Both races cost $50... and while thinking of the price, something hit my brain... Why to pay $50 to run 4 loops around a lake in a park where I often run, for a race that didn't offer anything?. After much thought the Dizzy Daze didn't seem so obvious anymore.... I changed my mind. 100 driving miles will be. I could go on Friday to my son's who lives half way, have dinner with him and his wife, watch a movie. Then on Sat participate in a small, low key race, where you can feel the caring of the organizers.

And after the fact I don't regret a bit. The race was as amazing as the Cupid's. The volunteers, the food, the support, the awards, everything reflected the difference between one race and another.

The weather cooperated, and didn't rain as forecasted. I ran strong, kept a steady pace, and logged my sixth race of the year. It was worthy: Rochester Revisited: Mrs. Lizzie Is Not Dizzy!



John ran an impressive 5:50 min/mile race!









---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2:26:25 for 11:11 min/mile
Splits:

Mile 1 - 10:49
Mile 2 - 11:01
Mile 3 - 11:16
Mile 4 - 11:18
Mile 5 - 10:57
Mile 6 - 11;27
Mile 7 - 11:10
Mile 8 - 10:42
Mile 9 - 11:13
Mile 10 - 10:59
Mile 11 - 10:33
Mile 12 - 11:26
Mile 13 - 11:28

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Sunday I ran a virtual 5K race as part of a Series organized by the loopster The Running Bob. I ran at a good pace (never at my 5K pace) but faster than training... It was really interesting to race alone but knowing that is a race!!! And I ran in Easter colors, only missed the bunny ears and the eggs' basket.





3 comments:

Marathon Maritza said...

You are a racing machine lately! Great job on another great race!

Deberia de probar esas arepas pa' ver si son igual a mis pupusas! Y es cierto me alegra tanto el llevar mi pais en mi corazon, y me alegro que lo mismo le enseño a sus hijos.

Petraruns said...

Fantastic going there LizzieLee - and your pace is picking up too isn't it? 6 races already - you're booking girlfriend!

You're going to be SO ready for your marathon. Can't wait to talk to you at the end of next week.

Irish Blue said...

Wow, you've done a ton of races already this year. Good for you Lizzie!! Getting close to marathon time. You're kickin' butt! Good luck with the rest of your training and thanks so much for your kind comments on my blog. ;-)

Hugs,
Melisa