Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Hay Is In The Barn. Now To Stack It Properly. Tapering Begins!!!

Marathon Plan - Regressive Countdown - Week Four
10/11/10 - 10/17/10 - Week Total: 26.1

The training for my fourth marathon season is practically over. I had the great opportunity to do the last 20-miler as part of Poulsbo Half-marathon race and continue with the marathoners (I'd say to continue on the marathon course). I ran the first mile before the marathon as a warm-up, then went to attack a "hilly but manageable course".

The initial miles went really good, probably the warm-up helped. A trail interrupted my rhythm and the second half went really slow, however, I still finished with a good time due to my first 6 miles (3 splits at 9ish min/mile). At mile 12.5 the two races split, I finished, got my medal, ate half a banana, drank half a bottle of water, talked to some racers that finished close to me, and went back to the course to complete my 20-miler.

There was nobody on the course, therefore no race ambiance. It was too late for marathoners to get into mile 12.5 and too early for marathoners to come back, plus the adrenaline and endorphines were gone. And did I mentioned "challenging hilly"?. I planned on running three miles and come back, but when I saw the hill coming after 2.5 miles I changed course and decided to return.

When I got to the finish line area I had completed 19 miles. Should I stop or keep going? I was spent but I kept going, I was not going to quit with one mile left. Ran that mile in the parking lot of the High School back and forth, back and forth. Boring, yes, but flat.

The training for my fourth marathon season is practically over. The Hay Is In The Barn. Now To Stack It Properly. Tapering Begins!!!

 This Marathon Maniac ran in Poulsbo his Marathon #90
 


 
Splits     HR
9:37 157
9:29 169
10:08 170
9:44 174
10:28 176
10:43 170
11:38 169
11:20 166
11:22 152
11:51 166
11:35 169
12:09 175
11:07 179

2 comments:

Petraruns said...

That is a NICE 20 miler there LizzieLee - good for you for keeping that pace. And yes I know the feeling of finishing off that last mile in laps. It's nasty but unavoidable. Good going girl - enjoy the taper!

Anonymous said...

Nice Job!!!

Also - I'm tagging you with a versatile blogger award. See my post for the deets :)